Friday, July 15, 2005

Upgrade for ADSL Modem\Router

ntl: supply me with a broadband connection, at the outset they supplied a Terayon ADSL Modem to which I added a Belkin Wireless Router. Of late one or both have been playing up, meaning a quick unplug & re-connection to reset is required, not a great hardship, but still very annoying.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a one unit solution, the D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router. I think from reading the blurb that this will do the job of both my current pieces of kit (any comments\knowledge or instruction gratefully received).

I know that some of you out there have recently gone for the D-Link DGL-4300, but that doesn't do the modem stuff(?), I'm not a gamer & don't host anything here.

I've also just seen the D-Link DSM-320 Wireless Media Player. It looks interesting, but doesn't claim native iTunes support as the Roku SoundBridge M2000 Network Music Player does. Anyone know about these things? Might this be a cheaper alternative to the Sonos mentioned in earlier posts.

Update : Looks like Apple are reselling the Elgato EyeHome Wireless Edition, which will work with the iMac I have, but if the iMac has shared access to my PC with all the iTunes on that it might be worth a look as well? I have contacted Elgato Technical Support to find out what it will & won't do. Mini Update : Elgato Technical Support say "yes". A sub-directory of iTunes shared from my PC to my iMac will be available to their device - cool! Have just ordered the D-Link DSM-320, might go for the Roku & the Elgato as well as they all look pretty nice & I will use them in different rooms in the house.

Update Update : with no comment from anyone here (thanks!). Today I have ordered the D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router from eXpansys along with a few other goodies, including a D-Link ANT24-0700 7dBi High Gain Omni-Directional external antenna that will hopefully boost signal to all areas of my abode, the Rice estate.

No comments: