Sunday, March 09, 2008

Just when you think you are making progress......

.... someone else comes along and pisses on your parade.

I'm talking photography, yet again. I was told a few weeks ago that at Rooksbury Mill Park lakes which is close to my home, there are a number of Kingfishers to be seen.

So, on Sunday morning with the sunshine making an unexpected appearance before the well forecasted approaching storms, off I went in search of said bird with Canon kit in hand - not an insubstantial setup of kit - EOS 5D, 70-200mm f2.8 L USM IS with 2 x Extender attached. Only to find that a local wildlife photographer had beaten me to it. He was fully decked out in Realtree camoflauge jacket with EOS 1DS Mk III and a Canon 500mm f4.0L USM IS in hand, similar to that as shown above.

To add insult to injury, no Kingfisher (wasn't expecting to get any shot's on first attempt, so I will try again) it pissed with rain, and of course I hadn't taken coat as the sun was shining when I left!

Having seen what can be done with the EOS 1DS Mk III & Canon 500mm, I have to confess that plans are afoot for an upgrade! Watch out Mr Mastercard, your about to get a short term beating!

If you really want to see what can be done with kit like this, check out this link... Ophrys Photography in Kent, UK. A wonderful array of amazing & beautiful wildlife photographs. I have to admit that I have half hinched the image of the Canon setup from their website, so I do hope they don't mind as long as I give them a plug here!? If you do have a problem with me doing this, please mail me.

No comments: