Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Website development, or not....

I have over the last couple of weeks thought more & more about creating my own website, the first stage is this incarnation using the oh so simple blogger tool, nothing could be easier. I have already registered domains for various idea's & am paying "rent" already for said names.

So I am about to embark on the road to website development all on my ownsome, but what to use? I did use to be a techie for Lotus - but I'll be the first to admit I blagged a lot of it (I can hear Darren Adams say rude words about me already! http://www.dadams.co.uk/). My technical skills began with a great user knowledge, skill & mind bending slight of hand of Lotus Freelance Graphics (its amazing how much more quickly a product can be used with all of the DOS shortcuts in your head!), levelled out with an average skill level of Lotus 1-2-3 macro's, but probably ended with the advent of Lotus Script, I have no programming background at all & the idea of using such tools as NetFusion Objects or such like makes me shiver more than a ice cube in a glass of vodka!

Having read reviews, I am toying with the idea of Microsoft FrontPage 2003, but really cannot bring myself to buy another product from the Dark Side. All I want to do is create a couple of dozen static pages that are real easy to edit with various links & photo's contained within. My ISP supports uploading pages with MS FrontPage, and its WYSIWYG are prime reasons for considering it - it sound fairly easy!?

So I'm about to walk into the electronic Mall that is Amazon.co.uk & spend £112 of my hard earned cash on it - unless you can tell me a good reason not to do so....

3 comments:

Darren said...

My favourite memory of you and I was the day we were bored in the office, and I placed a large jiffy bag on my head (like a hat) and you tried to knock it off by throwing balls of rolled up paper. Just then the Corporate Sales Manager walked past with a customer. How we laughed.

And of course, there was the merciless victimisation of a certain Scottish account manager, a man who used his mobile phone so much they had to employ a freight company to deliver his itemised bill.

Darren said...

Just read the rest of your post. Rather than spending money on FrontPage, there is a tool that comes with WebSphere Studio that you could use for free as an IBM employee. Or buy Dreamweaver which is vastly superior to FrontPage.

Seo Link Master said...

A reader had to go through the interview for Web Designer / Graphic Designer position and sent in his set of questions.

1. Whats is the difference between cellspacing and cellpadding?
2. If a page has to be loaded over all frames in window, what should be the value of TARGET attributes?
3. Which one of the following settlement is correct?
1. A table cannot contain another table
2. A Form can ve nested inside another form
3. Which element are table cells
4. List out tags that are support exclusively by IE and Netscape.
5. What tags are used to embed one html page inside another html page (without using frames)?
6. In dreamweaver what is used to apply same layout to my pages.
7. Which HTML tag is used to define an internal style sheet?
8. How do you define an inline style?
(Website design India)